'A survey of over 1500 working mums confirmed that 33% of respondents reported concern about the attitude of their boss as being one of the main worries about returning to work'
For clients wishing to support a cultural change towards family-friendliness, Manager Support workshops are particularly important to the overall success of implementing a supportive culture.
We support managers who are managing a team member through family-related leave, return and beyond. Managers play a crucial role in ensuring the success and happiness of a returner. Our 1 and 2-hour workshops enable managers to discuss case studies and scenarios, helping them answer their questions and concerns around managing this challenging period in a team member’s career.
- Clear cultural message that work/family balance is supported
- Less chance of miscommunication and discrimination
- Increased return and retention rates of parents experiencing family-related leave
One of our banking clients invites all line managers currently managing employees through expectancy, leave and return to work, to a 2-hour lunchtime workshop. From a company perspective, this not only ensures the creation of a supportive culture, it also minimises the chance of mis-communication which could lead to legal issues. Many companies see this as a risk- and reputation- management intervention.
When asked which elements of the workshop the line managers found most useful, responses ranged from 'pre-return aspects of managing maternity; explaining the policy and understanding the mechanics of the process
'I now understand how to communicate with my team members through maternity / paternity'
30-minute online module which can be completed anytime to suit the manager. Gives a comprehensive understanding of what to say and do at each stage of the maternity cycle.
- It's flexible and timely: the online module is accessible via your website, 24 hours a day, from home or work
- It's productive: the content is concise and interactive, enabling line managers to rapidly understand the key issues and therefore make important, instant changes to the way they communicate with their team members
- It can be evaluated: you can track who has completed the module
- If budgets are restricted, the module is more cost-effective per person than a workshop
- The module can be tailored to include company-specific policies or case studies. You can also choose to offer a face to face 1-hour workshop in conjunction with the online module to encourage discussion, tips from others and networking
A client has been offering the online learning module to all managers as part of their leadership toolkit. It is particularly suited to those managers who prefer to learn in their own time. The client wanted a flexible, self-learning tool, accessible to managers in any location, 24 hours a day.
'A major employer offering 24/7 access to online training found this style of learning was very popular with all staff and had increased demand for on the job development.'